This workaround was fantastic, the first time. Now I'm getting an error.
First installation: Trial copy of WS2k8R2 during activation grace period
Used WinDBG method, everything great.
Second installation: License came in mail, so did a clean install. Used same method, first attempt said Windows not valid. Panicked, went to Microsoft's site, checked to make sure, yes it is valid. Tried to install again, it worked, but a message popped up saying I had 30 days to get genuine before MSE shuts down.
Any ideas? Is this a new version of the installer causing this? I have the old installer stashed somewhere on an external drive, I think, but if I simply did something wrong, I would rather uninstall / reinstall than deal with that.
EDIT: Tried uninstalling... can't. Says that I'm running an unsupported OS. Tried a few things like using WinDBG similar to the install to see if I could uninstall using the setup file outside of the add/remove programs dialog, no luck. Anyone have any idea on how to at least do that? (NOTE - Reinstalled, so that part isn't necessary for me at this time, but others may find it useful)UPDATE
- Ok, got it installed. Had to do two things:
1. Do not install any updates. (Using 2 with all updates failed for me, must be multiple issues...)
2. Instead of the WinDbg steps from the linked blog post above, used the steps posted here:http://vspug.com/jeff102410/2010/02/06/install-microsoft-security-essentials-on-windows-server-2008-r2/
Note: the only change is that ctrl+break isn't used. The breakpoint is set, g is used to run the program, and it is left running.
In hindsight, I didn't use the exact steps posted in this thread, they might work just fine.
Something about using the first method was preventing the installer from being seen as validated, and something about one of the updates kept the software from seeing windows as valid once installed.
Now that MSE is installed and working, I am installing updates to see if that breaks things.
What is still needed - a good guide for removing the software. Just in case some update causes just what I experienced, MSE failing for one reason or another. Rather than reinstalling Windows, it would be easier to just uninstall MSE. I don't even know where to start on that, though I hope to poke around at it as I have time. Hoping someone more knowledgeable on it might already know the answer, or a large chunk of it.