Login    
   Windows Server to Workstation
   Convert Windows Server 2008/2008-R2/2012/2012-R2 & WS2016 to a Workstation !
    Register FAQ  •  Search    
It is currently Tuesday 25 Apr 2017 06:35 (UTC +1)

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Wednesday 08 Aug 2012 11:17 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Admin
Win2008Workstation Admin
User avatar

Joined: Saturday 08 Mar 2008 16:10 (UTC +1)
Posts: 1079
Location: The Netherlands
Description
In Windows 8 there is a possibility in the PC Settings to choose a background for the Start screen. Windows Server 2012 doesn't seem to have this option.

_________________
|[ Mainboard: Asus C8HM70-I/HDMI ]|[ CPU: Intel Celeron 847 ]|[ RAM: 8192 MB (DDR3-1600 SDRAM) ]|[ GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000 ]|[ OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Enterprise ]|


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Thursday 09 Aug 2012 04:31 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Super Member
Win2008Workstation Super Member

Joined: Monday 05 May 2008 19:30 (UTC +1)
Posts: 237
Another interesting difference I noticed between Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 that may be useful; is that Server 2012 without desktop experience, boots directly (and without delay) to its bare-bones desktop; of course adding 'Desktop Experience' boots you to Metro -- in both cases it seems we're still running the Windows 8/2012 explorer shell, so what ever accounts for the difference might be something really simple that a registry of file system 'diff' could reveal...

:geek:


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Monday 20 Aug 2012 22:18 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Admin
Win2008Workstation Admin
User avatar

Joined: Saturday 08 Mar 2008 16:10 (UTC +1)
Posts: 1079
Location: The Netherlands
hoak wrote:
Another interesting difference...
Would indeed be interesting to know what is responsible for that. :geek: Added it as a separate Wish.

_________________
|[ Mainboard: Asus C8HM70-I/HDMI ]|[ CPU: Intel Celeron 847 ]|[ RAM: 8192 MB (DDR3-1600 SDRAM) ]|[ GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000 ]|[ OS: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Enterprise ]|


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Monday 17 Sep 2012 13:22 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Super Member
Win2008Workstation Super Member

Joined: Wednesday 22 Aug 2012 17:41 (UTC +1)
Posts: 155
I was playing around in ”Settings” and pressed ”Change PC Settigns”, to see if the Metro Control Panel is the same as in Windows 8. It is, more than that, it has the options of changing the background color of the Metro UI, the lock screen picture and the user accound picture. I could not bring a picture as background as in Windows 8, but it seems that the Desktop Experience feature contains more than I was expecting.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Monday 17 Sep 2012 18:29 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Expert
Win2008Workstation Expert

Joined: Thursday 05 Feb 2009 10:27 (UTC +1)
Posts: 395
Lotusisrael wrote:
I was playing around in ”Settings” and pressed ”Change PC Settigns”, to see if the Metro Control Panel is the same as in Windows 8. It is, more than that, it has the options of changing the background color of the Metro UI, the lock screen picture and the user accound picture. I could not bring a picture as background as in Windows 8, but it seems that the Desktop Experience feature contains more than I was expecting.


Those features are unlocked once Server 2012 is activated. You then will be able to change pic, background colors and also lock screen and so on.

Image

Image

N :)


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Thursday 20 Sep 2012 02:34 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Super Member
Win2008Workstation Super Member

Joined: Wednesday 22 Aug 2012 17:41 (UTC +1)
Posts: 155
Found this, tried to run the tool, it refused to load
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-C ... 3507.shtml
Maybe it will work for some of you, it is made by Microsoft.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Thursday 20 Sep 2012 03:09 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Expert
Win2008Workstation Expert

Joined: Thursday 05 Feb 2009 10:27 (UTC +1)
Posts: 395
Lotusisrael wrote:
Found this, tried to run the tool, it refused to load
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-C ... 3507.shtml
Maybe it will work for some of you, it is made by Microsoft.


I will test it. I post back once done.

BTW -> http://www.my7apps.fr/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=5

N :)


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Thursday 27 Sep 2012 12:52 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Member
Win2008Workstation Member
User avatar

Joined: Sunday 16 Oct 2011 07:02 (UTC +1)
Posts: 84
ExpertUser wrote:
Lotusisrael wrote:
I was playing around in ”Settings” and pressed ”Change PC Settigns”, to see if the Metro Control Panel is the same as in Windows 8. It is, more than that, it has the options of changing the background color of the Metro UI, the lock screen picture and the user accound picture. I could not bring a picture as background as in Windows 8, but it seems that the Desktop Experience feature contains more than I was expecting.


Those features are unlocked once Server 2012 is activated. You then will be able to change pic, background colors and also lock screen and so on.

Image

Image

N :)


My Server is activated and I do have those PC settings available where I can change the Start Screen colors and Avatar, but the lock screen picture for some strange reason does not apply. Tried both jpg and bmp images without luck. Certainly buggy.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Thursday 27 Sep 2012 18:19 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Super Member
Win2008Workstation Super Member

Joined: Wednesday 22 Aug 2012 17:41 (UTC +1)
Posts: 155
Portal2Two wrote:
My Server is activated and I do have those PC settings available where I can change the Start Screen colors and Avatar, but the lock screen picture for some strange reason does not apply. Tried both jpg and bmp images without luck. Certainly buggy.[/size]

It hapend to me too, but then it was fixed. Change it, the reboot . It should apply.


 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Background for Start screen
PostPosted: Friday 28 Sep 2012 10:48 (UTC +1) 
Offline
Win2008Workstation Member
Win2008Workstation Member
User avatar

Joined: Sunday 16 Oct 2011 07:02 (UTC +1)
Posts: 84
It's still happening to me and I don't know why. Just a thought now, could this be due to the fact I'm using an Administrator account which I added manually, and my built-in admin account is currently disabled?


 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.115s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]