As a side note I thought I would share my procedure on how I was able to get a sub-30 second boot time on my machine. Keep in mind this is a sub-30 second boot time with AV, VMWare, and no startup applications or services disabled on boot time.
1. Install Windows Server 2008 R2
2. Install Desktop Experience, Windows Server Backup, .NET Framework, Wireless LAN features.
3. Install Graphics and Audio software drivers.
4. Install ESET NOD32 AV Business Edition for Windows Server (w/trial reset patch)
5. Using R2 Conv GUI install Superfetch service. Reboot.
6. In command prompt:
sc config sysmain start= auto
sc start sysmain
sc config defragsvc start= auto
sc start defragsvc
echo [OptimalLayoutFile] > Layout.ini
7. Check C:\Windows\Prefetch\Layout.ini to see that prefetch has been built. Reboot PC.
8. Download Auslogics Disk Defrag utility. Perform initial disk defrag.
9. Enable Readyboost via patches here: viewtopic.php?p=8795#p8795
First launch readyboost.reg, then launch Superfetch.reg
10. Insert USB flash drive to be used for Readyboost.
Right-click on flash drive and choose Properties. Initially readyboost will say that device is incompatible,but you simply hit test again and it will pop up. Next "dedicate" the entire device to readyboost.
11. Reboot 3 times or so to see noticeable improvement in boot time and application start up performance. One thing I noticed was how instant Internet Explorer loaded once I configured my desktop with the above tweaks. Before it took like 10 seconds to startup now when I logon to my desktop its like *BAM* INSTANT! Also another factor to my sub-30 second boot even with all my applications installed and Windows fully patched is the fact that I have ESET installed. It is the lightest of any running AV I have tested... AVIRA, AVAST!, AVG (through OS license hack), Microsoft Security Essentials, etc all downgraded the performance of my machine. Switching your AV to ESET alone would probably shave a good 7 seconds off your boot time. Atleast on my machines (quad core 8GB desktop + 3GB dual core laptop) it made a noticeable difference.