1. Boot up your Windows Server 2008 dvd. If you see the screen below, choose the approperiate settings and click Next.
2. On the next screen just click the button Install Now.
3. Enter your Windows Server 2008 productkey. If you don’t have one (yet) you can just skip this step by clicking Next and click No when asked when asked if you want to enter your product key.
4. Select the version of Windows Server 2008 that says Full Installation. Don’t select one of the Server Core Installation’s, because then you won’t have a GUI
5. If you agree to the license terms, select I accept the license terms and click Next.
6. If you have a clean harddisk or if there is no possibility to upgrade from a previous version of Windows you will only have the option Custom (advanced). In this manual I will use the Custom installation.
7. Select the harddisk and partition where you want to install Windows Server 2008 and click Next.
8. Now Windows 2008 Server setup will install the selected version on your harddrive.
9. After the installation has finished the computer will restart and a message about changing your password will be shown. Click OK.
10. You MUST type in a strong password with at least one capital letter and one number, for example P4ssword (capital P/number four), otherwise you will get an error message saying that you doesn’t comply to the security enforcements of the domain. You can disable this strong password enforcement later. After succesfully changing the password you will see the message that your password has succesfully been changed. Click OK. Your desktop will now show up.
11. In the Server Manager window check the Do not show me this console at logon to not show the Server Manager at startup. You can access it later via the the Server Manager shortcut in your quick launch bar or Start menu.