Probably you are thinking at the moment: “Why the heck should I use Windows Server 2008 as my Workstations Operating System?? Vista works fine for me…”.
The answer is clear: Windows Server 2008 has almost exactly the same features as Windows Vista (SP1), but is remarkably faster and more stable! People say: “It’s Windows Vista without the bloat“!
Here are six great benchmarks which compare Windows Vista [SP1] against Windows Server 2008:
- Win2008workstation forum member halladayrules who compared Windows Server 2008 SP2 to Windows Vista SP2
- exo.blog: Windows “Workstation” 2008 – Vista Done Right?
- WastingTimeWithMikeAndAri: Windows Server 2008 10% faster, uses 2/3 the ram of Vista
- Jayson Rowe’s Ramblings: Windows Server 2008 “Workstation” Take 3
- Article from PC Games Hardware Magazine (German): DirectX 10 ohne Vista (rapidshare/pdf)
- Recovery Monkey: Massive benchmark comparison between Windows XP, Vista and 2008 Server, 32- and 64-bit
Beside the speed, Windows Server 2008 also includes:
- Microsoft Internet Information Services 7: Fully featured webserver;
- Hyper-V: Virtualization integrated in the Operating System.
- Terminal Services: Work with multiple users simultaneously on one fast PC.
- Much more!